Scientific and technical translation is a type of translation that is concerned with translating scientific and technical texts and depends on the meaning of the concept and requires specialization and extreme accuracy in translating sentences and terms in a way that does not prejudice or change the meaning, as it is one of the most important types of translations, and error in it costs a lot of time and effort. It is also one of the most distinguished and expensive types of translation, so the translator must be a specialist in the field of scientific and technical translation that he is translating, or at least familiar with all new terms, phrases and news in his specialized field. we will review more about the requirements of scientific and technical translation and its importance as follows:
Scientific and Technical Translation
Recently, in light of the technological and scientific revolution, the demand for scientific and technical translation has increased and became especially important in all fields and in different languages.
- The difficulty of this type of translation lies in the information and terminology it contains that need specialists and scholars to smoothly translate them from one language to another without disturbing the meaning.
- It also requires great skill and pinpoint accuracy that cannot be provided by a translator who is not specialized or not experienced in this type of translation. Imagine its importance in transferring complex scientific research from one language to another, with highly specialized scientific terms and equations
- The possibilities for error are not allowed in this type of translation, and you should approach an accredited translation office to translate such texts carefully and accurately.
Now after we had known the importance of scientific and technical translation, what are the fields of scientific translation, in particular?
- Scientific translation is concerned with texts related to fields such as chemistry, physics, mathematics, scientific research, patents, and scientific studies of specific topics, in addition to everything related to the sciences of medicine, pharmacology and biology.
- The scientific translation always addresses texts, studies and documents published by experts and specialists around the world, which are needed to be translated into other languages so that everyone benefits and the results of these studies reach to other countries and recognized by other experts and so on.
Therefore, scientific translation does not only require mastery of the target language, but the translator must be fully familiar with the source language in which the scientific text is written and be familiar with the terminology, so that he can be able to translate a reliable and negotiable text.
Technical translation is concerned with the technological texts or those predominantly technological in nature, such as
- translating research on engineering and the development of equipment, machines and electronics
- or translating engineering equations and drawings for a project or an invention. It is no less important than scientific translation, as it is related to it.
- Therefore, scientific and technical translation are inseparable and require the same skill and accuracy in translating from the source language to other languages.
- We can distinguish between them that technical translation is mainly concerned with numbers, drawings, and mathematical equations, while scientific translation is concerned with medical terms, chemical transactions, and specialized research in specific scientific fields.
In conclusion, the translation experts recommend when working on scientific and technical translation of different texts to translate the specialized terms as literal as possible and always refer to the origin of the abbreviated terms in the text, and review more than once to avoid errors, in addition to the skill, accuracy and familiarity with the rules of the source language and target language.